Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a type of anxiety disorder that occurs after a traumatic experience that has bought on fear, helplessness and horror in one’s life. Different people respond to trauma in different ways, not everyone who goes through a traumatic event will experience PTSD and those who do may only start showing symptoms after a few months or several years.
- Avoiding any reminders of the event
- Continually re-living the event through dreams, and upsetting thoughts
- Being overly alert, in fear that the traumatic event will reoccur
Common effects of PTSD
- Substance abuse
Causes of trauma
- Loss of a loved one.
- Domestic violence
- Rape or sexual assault
- A work or car accident
- A crime-related trauma like a highjacking
- Having been a witness of a traumatic event
Fortunately, if you think you have PTSD, you do not have to suffer in silence. There are professionals like Trevor Hall that are specially trained to help you. PTSD can be treated with psychotherapy and counselling.